DIPAC offers Therapist services for the Canberra, Queanbeyan and ACT region from our offices at the Barton Specialist Centre. So if you would like to see a therapist in Canberra or just want to talk to someone, we can help. Call today on: 02 6152 8998 or use our contact form and we will call you back.
Unfortunately, life isn't always plain sailing. From relationship break-ups through to unhappy childhoods, unsatisfying work, unsupportive families or just the stresses and strains which come from a 21st Century lifestyle, there are all sorts of reasons why people can experience on-going emotional distress. Frequently it can be difficult to work out how best to improve mental health, particularly when the issues causing stress are matters which can't be easily removed or resolved. In many cases, a therapist Canberra people can talk to about the problems they're experiencing can make a positive difference. Therapy offers a safe space in which individuals can talk through their thoughts and feelings with an empathetic, non-judgemental therapist. When using a therapist, Canberra clients can expect to gain insight into their current situation, as well as learn the skills needed to potentially feel more positive.
A therapist can explore a wide range of issues, empowering individuals to find solutions and ways of thinking and acting which work for them. Often used alongside medication and lifestyle changes, therapy can be a powerful way of improving mental well-being.
Get a therapist Canberra people recommend at DIPAC Counselling
When you turn to us for therapy, you can expect a professional, supportive service that's patient-centred and tailored to meet your specific needs. DIPAC therapists are all qualified in their field, as well as experienced in using a range of therapeutic approaches. In addition to generic therapy, at DIPAC Counselling you can also access therapy that's targeted at a particular problematic area. Examples include: anxiety counselling Canberra clients find of significant value, as well as marriage, relationship and bereavement counselling. Elements of these counselling specialisms can be built into the therapy you receive if required.
The goal at DIPAC is to provide long-term benefits as well as short-term improvements in your situation. By teaching clients how to think differently about what's happening to them, it's often possible to minimise the risk of unhelpful thought patterns reoccurring in the future.
Who might use a therapist Canberra people can easily visit?
Because everyone's life experiences and mental make-up is slightly different, there is no "one size fits all" reason why people may wish to access therapy. Generally, therapy is appropriate where individuals are feeling negative about some, or all, aspects of their lives. The type of symptoms which may benefit from therapy include:
- Pervasive negative feelings which affect your quality of life, such as anxiety, sadness, guilt, anger and apathy or feelings of being "stuck", "trapped" or "burdened".
- Difficulty in coming to terms with adverse life events.
- Difficulty in dealing with an on-going stressful situation where the options for change are limited (for example the long-term illness of a loved one or chronic money worries).
- A tendency to adopt unhelpful behaviours when under stress, such as smoking, drinking excessively or taking out anger on those closest to you.
- Difficulty with on-going relationships with friends and/or family.
What benefits can therapy bring?
Although therapy isn't suitable for everyone, for most people a therapist Canberra locals can talk to can offer the following benefits:
- A chance to "open up" about problems in a safe, confidential and neutral space.
- The opportunity to get some insight into other, more positive ways of viewing the situation.
- A tool kit of skills to challenge negative thinking.
- Assistance in dealing with relationship difficulties and/or challenging unhelpful behaviours if necessary.
- Acquisition of the skills needed to effect long-term change and reduce the risk of mental health difficulties resurfacing.